Join us in Finca San Antonio, Intag, Ecuador, in the beautiful Andes for the adventure holiday of a lifetime. This is your chance to experience life in a remote Andean community – the perfect location for travellers who prefer to get off the beaten track.
We are a local organisation, and our long-term intention is to slow down deforestation by providing an alternative, sustainable source of income for locals.
A Cloud Forest adventure includes
- Amazing hiking into the pristine jungle of one of the world’s least explored Nature Reserves (Cotacachi-Cayapas) which is said to have the highest number of endemic species in the world. Altiplano (highland) treks in the beautiful Piñan lakes area.
- Guided forest tours in finca San Antonio and further afield, horse-riding trips, treks with spectacular views of volcanoes, highlands and jungles. Great bird-watching (toucan barbet, two species of Guan, two species of trogon, quetzal, plate-billed mountain toucan etc). Pristine waterfall and river bathing.
- Comfortable cabin accommodation, and we're quite often told that the food here is some of the best in Ecuador.
- A chance to experience rural Ecuadorean traditions and to meet local folk: Sub-tropical and temperate organic farming, coffee production, hand milking, cheese-making, basket weaving, traditional sugar cane production, and trout fishing with Ecuadorian families - all within finca San Antonio, or within a short (3 mile) taxi-truck ride to our sub-tropical farm. This is agrotourism at its best, an active experience, authentic and fun for all the family!
- No malaria or dengue fever in this area, and no SICCA ( zika) syndrome or Lymes disease. In our opinion, no vaccinations are needed to visit Finca San Antonio in Intag. The jungle here is temperate cloud forest and upper montane (typical daytime temperature 23 celsius at the upper farm, and 28 celsius at the sub-tropical farm)- a challenging but healthy eco-system.
- We also organise visits to local attractions in the otavalo area such as Nangulvi thermal baths, Wariman sacred temple and museum, and have contacts with two experienced shamans (Yachaks) who offer healing and volunteer experiences near Otavalo.
- Teaching, farmwork and conservation volunteer placements in Intag (Cuellaje parish).
- Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/cloudforestadventurecotacachi/
- See our listing on Airbnb at https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16422808?location=intag%20ecuador&s=LNmv0Duc
- Click on our trip advisor link, or find us under Finca San Antonio and Cotacachi.
Cloud Forest caters for groups from 1 to 10 people. We also cater for larger groups who wish to camp in tents.
Prices per person around $20 per day per person (includes all accommodation and food, and free tours/demonstrations within finca san antonio; excludes overnight camping trips to wilderness areas, and birding , exploring , or horseriding excursions outside of our 160 acre farm).We’ll come and accompany you to Finca San Antonio too - cost price pick-up service from Quito airport provided by our friends Chari and Felix, who live in Quito, and have a farm in Intag.
We look forward to welcoming you to Ecuador!