Join us at cloudforest adventure, Intag, Ecuador, in the beautiful Andes for the adventure holiday of a lifetime. This is your chance to experience life in a remote Andean community – the perfect location for travellers who prefer to get off the beaten track.
We are a family run project, and our long-term intention is to slow down deforestation by providing an alternative, sustainable source of income for locals. We also question the wisdom of a proposal for metal mining in this area - help us to provide alternative sources of income for local people and to conserve the natural wonders of Ecuador.
A Cloud Forest adventure includes
- Great hiking towards and into the pristine jungle of one of the world’s least explored Nature Reserves (Cotacachi-Cayapas, 600,000 acres) which is said to have the highest number of endemic species in the world. Altiplano (highland) treks in the beautiful Piñan lakes area.
- Free guided forest tours on our farm (and further afield), horse-riding trips, treks with spectacular views of volcanoes, highlands and jungles. Good bird-watching (toucan barbet, two species of Guan, two species of trogon, quetzal, plate-billed mountain toucan etc). Pristine waterfall and river bathing. Harvest, prepare and eat a wide range of local fruit and vegetables.
- Comfortable cabin accommodation, with wifi, and we're quite often told that the food here is some of the best in Ecuador!
- A chance to experience rural Ecuadorean traditions and to meet local folk: Sub-tropical and temperate organic farming, coffee production, hand milking, cheese-making, basket weaving, traditional sugar cane production, and trout fishing with Ecuadorian families - all at our cloud forest farm, or within a short (3 mile) taxi-truck ride to our sub-tropical farm. This is agrotourism at its best, an active experience, authentic and fun for all the family!
- No malaria or dengue fever in this area, and no SICCA ( zika) syndrome or Lymes disease. In our opinion, no vaccinations are needed to visit Cloudforest Adventure in Intag. The jungle here is temperate cloud forest and upper montane (typical daytime temperature 23 celsius at the upper farm, and 28 celsius at the sub-tropical farm)- a beautiful and healthy eco-system.
- We also organise visits to local attractions in the otavalo area such as Nangulvi geo-thermal baths, Wariman pre-colombian sacred temple and museum, and have contacts with two experienced shamans (Yachags) who offer healing and volunteer experiences near Otavalo.
- Teaching, farmwork and conservation volunteer placements in Intag (Cuellaje parish).
- See our listings on Airbnb, Booking, and hostelworld under cloudforest adventure.
- Click on our trip advisor link, or find us under .Cloudforest adventure and Cotacachi.
Cloud Forest caters for groups from 1 to 10 people. We also cater for larger groups who wish to camp in tents.
Price per person: $20 per day - includes all accommodation and organic, home-produced meals, and free tours/demonstrations/excursions within our farms (about 200 acres in total); excludes overnight camping trips to wilderness areas, and birding , exploring , or horseriding excursions outside of our farms, where usually there is a small extra cost to pay for a guide and sometimes a mule to carry camping equipment).We’ll come and accompany you to our farm - cost price pick-up service from Quito airport provided by our friends Chari and Felix, who live in Quito, and have a farm in Intag.
We look forward to welcoming you to Ecuador!